Friday, April 19, 2013

What's "Shenanigans", Precious?

A little background: I'm a junior Vocal Performance major, I work with youth through an organization called Young Life, I work with the music ministry at my church, I'm in a barbershop quartet, I accompany four people on piano, I take organ lessons, and somewhere in there, I try to be a good friend. I don't have a lot of extra time. Not to mention, I'm an emotional basket case about seventy-five percent of the time. Solid, right? Needless to say, time to process my thoughts and emotions is really important to me, and when I don't get it I kind of start to lose it. That might look like me going dark side and just not talking to anyone. It might be me being the exact opposite. Either way, I'm off balance and it is obvious. That's where this blog comes in. I finally decided to take my life, and instead of going to therapy like a sane person would, I'm going to start writing about it for the public eye. What can I say? I'm a glutton for punishment. 


There's a reason this blog is titled "Shenanigans". That seems to be the theme for my life. I lived in a retired fire station with five guys, a pregnant woman (don't worry, she is married to one of the guys), two cats that sucked at being cats, and a Great Dane who might as well have been another person. Who does that? No one in his right mind. Through Young Life, I take kids to camp over the summer. Inevitably, that involves a "gremlin" falling asleep on me, or styling my hair with shaving cream (I have really long hair), or popping giant, freezing-cold water balloons over my head. I have had lemonade dumped on me, been kissed by some random high school boy that I did not know, and listened to some of the worst jokes in the world, all in an effort to make me laugh. Did any of it work? Absolutely not. I was too pissed about being soaked in lemonade. Rude.
 
Being a fine arts major, I deal with the crazies. And I use crazy in every denotation and connotation that comes with it. You know all those stereo-types that you think of when you hear "fine arts major"? Well, stereo-types are based in fact. They couldn't be more accurate, yet at the same time, they completely miss the mark. If dealing with musicians, dancers, and actors on a regular basis doesn't constitute "shenanigans" then I have no idea what does. Plus, I take voice from a 68 year old, unforgivably sassy woman affectionately referred to as "Crumbles"... whom I am slowly turning into....

There are definitely a few friends that you will read a lot about. My roommate's name is Aaron. Aaron and I keep accidentally scaring each other. One of these days, he's going to get punched. Then there's my twin, Meredith... Dear lord. Suffice it to say that in the early stages of our friendship, we bonded over a mutual desire to karate chop people whenever they irritated us. I have a mini me named Matt, and he is simply that. He is me but two years ago. And red-headed. Then there's Lizarda. No, she is not a lizard, but she is my best friend from high school who continually sasses me, and tells me how funny she is (even though she's not funny at all). These four keep me on my toes. They know me better than most. I have a unique relationship with each of them. And they all love my mom. In fact, I'm sometimes convinced they love Mama Foster more than me. You'll hear about Mom a lot, too.


I think the biggest thing you should know about me is that I over think everything. I over think relationships, faith, music, cooking, furniture, everything in my life. So be ready for that. Chances are, if you're reading this, we will disagree on things. And that's okay. But know that I'm not going to shy away from topics. In fact, the reason I finally decided to start this blog is that I was really having a hard time understanding the world's views on sex (don't worry, I'm not jumping into that right now). My favorite thing about writing is that it forces me to organize and examine my thoughts. So, that's what I'm going to do. I'm going to find out what I really think about friendships. I'm going to find out what I really think about trusting people with my thoughts and feelings. Sometimes, I'm going to simply write about my gremlins and the hysterical things they do. I don't know what all this will be. But I do know that it will be me. And that's all I can hope for. That, and Shenanigans.

No comments:

Post a Comment